Saturday, February 18, 2012

I am an Onion part 1

I have to dress in many layers for the varied weather we encounter day-to-day and hour-to-hour.

I start the day by checking the Hourly Weather Graph at weather.gov (run by NOAA). This is allows me to see weather, windchill, and wind. This also includes precipitation type, % probability, and projected accumulation amounts.  We plan our work day around the this information. We take our trailer out in the morning when a field will be frozen and walk in the afternoons in the mud if we are worried about getting stuck.

During the day I use my phone to check the weather. I don't have internet on it but I do use Google SMS.

I either wear or keep my gear in our rig every day.  Once in the field we don't leave until done, quitting time, or really bad weather (lighting, tornado, downpour).

I usually wear thermals, two shirts, a hoodie, a coat, a hat, always safety glasses, thick wool socks for my rubber boots, and gloves. In my bag is another pair of glasses, another hat, more gloves, and my lunch.

This week due to cold in the morning and mid-high 30s in afternoon I have been learning that I need to layer for my head better. What I use now too warm for over 32 degrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment